Saturday, January 6, 2018

RSC18 First ScrapHappy Saturday


For all the people joining in to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for the first time, welcome.  To everyone else, welcome back.  A new year is always a great opportunity to think about what you have done and what you want to do.  Hopefully you finished off a few projects last year.  Maybe that leaves room for something new this year?
My new project this year is the squared away sampler.  Mari and I worked together to plan a sampler quilt of 5 by 5 blocks.  She has posted a tutorial for making the block in the 10 inch size.  
I made test versions in 5 inch and 7.5 inch  sizes before deciding to make the quilt with 7.5 inch blocks.  Mari has more information on a tab on her blog as do I.  So feel free to read more about it if you are thinking of joining in.  
 I used a slightly different color arrangement, but here are a couple of charts to let you know how many squares and half square triangles you will need for each block.

Mari's color placement
first blue
5 squares
second blue
16 HST
background
4 squares


Angela's color placement

first blue
4 squares, 4 HST
second blue
1 square, 12 HST
background
4 squares
 Here are my three finished blocks.
If you would like the directions in a handy PDF, that is ready to go, and at the RSC18 Sampler tab above, you can find a link of all the block tutorials for the year.
Misterlinky is below.  Share your progress on squared away or your other Rainbow Scrap Challenge Projects.  Light and medium blue are the colors for January.  Please let us know if you are new so we can welcome you on board.

21 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Very pretty blocks! :)

Ellen said...

Your blocks look great!

SandraC said...

What a lovely block to start this quilt! Thanks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a really neat block! I'll enjoy putting one (or a few!) together! Thanks for all the info!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE the fact that you went smaller with your Squared Away Sampler blocks!! Your 3 blocks are wonderfully scrappy. I think I might try the 5" size...

Sarah said...

Pretty blocks! Its some years since I participated in the scrappy Saturday challenge! Its great to be taking part again - thanks!

Sara said...

Love the block! My light/medium blue from this morning is actually aqua. But I'm planning to try out this block over the weekend using my huge scrap bin of blues.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your blocks are great! And beautiful blue fabrics.
I'm new here, and after my first blocks for the Challenge, I can say I love it!! Thank you for hosting this great Challenge, I'm going to visit other one blogs ;)

Edith said...

What fun, I'm back and plan on participating in the 2018 RSC Sampler.

nanoupatch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nanoupatch said...

Hi to Everybody ! So Happy to join the group ! I live in France and heard about this new challenge thanks my friend Fred ; I think it is a very nice idea and I'm sure we will share many things ! So ... see you next with my first blocks !

Kristi said...

I started sorting my blues out of my aquas this morning! I'm ready to get started. I need to get another organizing bin so I can keep my aquas and blues seperate!

Kate said...

Great blocks! Thanks for doing another scrappy sampler, the scraps are taking over my sewing room and definitely need to be contained in a quilt!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a pretty block! I am using blues in Ringo Lake mystery quilt.

cjmont said...

i want to make spool blocks for the rsc18; does anyone have a pattern or instructions to draft a 10" spool block?

Jo said...

Wow. You have had a great response for the first link up. The blocks look great..

Monica said...

Your Squared Away blocks look beautiful! And I am also impressed with the turn out this week. Everyone's so optimistic at the beginning of the year!

rabbitspinner said...

Wahh, I can't see Mr Linky, or any thumbnails. Using Win 10, Google Chrome, any ideas? Everything worked until about 3 months ago. I am NOT a techie....And I sew miss them!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for hosting the challenge - I am joining this year and found out about it through Kate at Life in Pieces! I have my blue scraps cut and my pattern selected.

Marsha Cooper said...

Blue is a color I didn't get to last year, so I am in high hopes of getting to the blue this month. I'm starting to wonder if I will ever actually start putting the string blocks together!

john nicholas said...

The HP smart app for mac and application for PCs and cell phones to print, duplicate, filter, investigate printer issues, and set up a printer on a remote organization. Print, output, and duplicate by tapping the HP Smart application home screen tiles. You can likewise really look at printer status, investigate issues, request supplies, and set printer inclinations.