Friday, August 7, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Road to California

Most of the Road to California blocks I have seen are more complicated than this simple version, but given that we are working with a 6 inch block, I thought this version from my Quilt Block Bible would work well.
 This is a basic nine patch block, so it works on a 2.5 inch grid.  Everything you need can come from strips of indigo combined with background fabric.
Start by placing the background and indigo strips right sides together and use the easy angle ruler to cut 4 HST units.  
 Here are your subunits:
4 - HST units
1 - 2.5 inch indigo square
4 - 2.5 inch background squares
 Sew the HST units together, trim dog ears and you are ready to go.
 Place your squares together in a nine patch grid with the dark square in the center and the background squares in each corner.  Notice that the HST units form a strong diagonal line in the center.  If you rotated the HST units differently, you could also make a friendship star.
 Sew your nine patch together and you are ready to go.
 Go ahead and add your star points to finish up your block.

3 comments:

Deb A said...

Hmmm. Was getting my post ready with the other two block but think I'll make this one up quick.

Delighted Hands said...

Very striking! The indigo just is so appealing and a fitting color for this California block since it is the home of the denim!

Dasha said...

Nice block. I love the colour combo. I know it is simple, but it is timeless, and I love it.