Friday, August 8, 2008

Lucky 8

I had a good day at school today. There was a computer training session in the morning, but then I spent a lot of time planning and coordinating with people as I randomly bumped into them. I'm spending a lot of time with the new chemistry teacher. She's got lots of questions, which I'm trying to answer without telling her what she should do. We also have a new math teacher who wants to line up our syllabi so that we are teaching some of the same topics at the same time. He doesn't have his course planned yet, so he wanted me to just tell him when to do the topics that overlap. I don't know if I'm just very persuasive or if everyone else is just accommodating, but hey, if it gets the job done then I'm all for it. The math and science teachers all went out to lunch as a group. It's nice to spend some time with people socially. I think it makes it easier to work together.
I spent the afternoon doing girl scout things. Did I mention that I caved completely on the school coordinator position? I have a pathological inability to say no. In my own defense, I did say no at least three times. If only I had been strong enough to say no just once more I would have been home free. So I called all the leaders today to get contact info and updates on the status of all of the troops. I'm going to send an e-mail and try to get people to volunteer to help out with the registration booth on Wednesday. The way the schedules line up this year, the public school registration day is the same as my first day of school. So I guess I'll finish teaching and then go over to sit at the booth in the afternoon.
I watched the opening ceremonies for the Olympics this evening while finishing up my Sirenia quilt. Kurt was helping out with artistic decisions, so it ended up much more symmetrical than I had planned. I think I'll add a dark blue border to the outside and it will be about the right size. Kiribati just appeared in the parade of nations! Kurt had never heard of it, but I read a whole book that took place on a Kirabatian Island! I think it was called The Sex Lives of Cannibals. It was hilarious. We've got the globe out, and are looking up all the countries that are unfamiliar. I wish the kids were awake, they are fascinated with maps and would get a big kick out of all of the flags. It's getting late now, and I'd better call it a night. I'm supposed to run 12 miles in the morning starting at 6. I'd love to start later, but I don't run that fast and it gets hot after the sun comes up.

No comments: